Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Faded pictures


I started this blog to somehow cope with my empty nest, but despite my attempts, the facts remain: you raise your kids, they go away, their youth stretches out in direct proportion to you getting older, and just as you find solace with your creative life, you're back to facing the same old demons, whatever they may be. Good thing no one tells you this at the beginning. Maybe that's what my mother was trying to say when she said, so forthrightly (and she wasn't always so forthright), if given a choice she might not have had kids.

I thought about this all weekend, just to match the mood of the cold and rainy, gray and overcast days, and then as i was rummaging through the fridge this morning, I noticed them— faded, partially hidden pictures, pinned on the door by magnets, of past trips, of past happinesses, faded and almost gone. But not gone, like a memory lodged inside the brain. So, not empty either, when you get right down to it.

 Joshua Tree

 Mekko and Ben

In London on Abbey Road with the kids





2 comments:

  1. ohh. i have those faded pictures, too, charlotte. i changed my whole life to avoid dealing with the empty nest, but it still comes out of the blue and knocks you sideways, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow a whole week went by and i'm just getting back to you. (crazy week!) Thank you. and thanks to the other friends who wrote saying that they knew this territory too.

    ReplyDelete