Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween at SRF


It's interesting (well, at least to me) that I chose to do my first interview in two years with Tigger the Tiger. I don't know how it happened; I was all geared up to do it with someone of note, but then I saw this friendly tiger walking down the street, and since my journalism chops were rusty, I thought, what the heck, I'll give her a try. Tigger didn't have a lot to tell me, but she didn't bite. And she invited me back that evening to the Self-Realization Fellowship Center's Halloween celebration, a yearly event on top of Mt. Washington. I used to bring my kids up here when they were small, until SRF closed down the party. Tigger didn't come clean on that point, but it's a fact that the monks and nuns were somewhat pissed at those in the community who fought against bringing the remains of their beloved guru, Paramahansa Yogananda, (Autobiography of a Yogi) up to the Mt. Washington headquarters. I distinctly remember a few years without Halloween.

But this year's celebration was terrific and brought back so many happy memories. The SRF works hard all year long to put on a really good show. Kids as well as adults run around excited to see the Queen, hear the talking pumpkin, watch fairies blow bubbles and be awed by the magician with his slight of hand. I kept looking around for someone I might know but it's a whole new crowd.











































No comments:

Post a Comment